A beautiful coastal town with a beach
Enjoy relaxing time at the beach or get active and try the sport activities Camporosso offers!
A remarkable 16th century altarpiece by Stefano Andrechi in the parish church San Marco Evangelista is one of the most significant works of art in the whole of Liguria.
The two oratories Oratorio dei NeriÂ (17th century) and Oratorio dei BianchiÂ (16th century), which has two clocks on the façade, are also very interesting. The A. Doria library owns a collection of books that dates back to the 15th century. The area is rich in old olive and corn mills Â the olive mill Beudo was built around 1640.
There is also a nice circular path dedicated to peasant culture. The ÂAlta Via dei Monti LiguriÂ starts near Camporosso: it is a nice hiking path through the Ligurian mountains, in one of the most beautiful and bio diverse natural environments in the Nervia Valley.
During the celebrations for the patron saint San Sebastiano, a procession takes place and the participants carry a laurel tree with coloured hosts, the so-called Papete. This is originally a pagan tradition. Each September, the town celebrates Francesco Maria da Camporosso, who was born here in 1804.
The culinary specialty of the area is the so-called ÂBarbagiuaiÂ, ravioli filled with fried pumpkin - you should definitely try them with a glass of the red wine Rossese or white wine Vermentino, both of which are delicious.
Camporosso is a charming town full of character in the Nervia valley. It is thought to be named after its red soil, for which it was highly valued in Roman times. Many fortifications on the surrounding hills date back to 600-700 B.C. While the town historically belonged to Ventimiglia, it gained its independence in the 17th century. After the decline of the Republic of Genoa Camporosso, it came together with other town to found the so-called "Magnifica Comunità degli Otto Luoghi". When the occupation through Napoleon Bonaparte ended, the town could finally be independent.
The original town grew around the Romanesque church San Pietro, where the cemetery is today. The bell tower and the apse with frescoes from the 15th-17th century are all that remains of the old church.
Camporosso is one of the villages in the province of Imperia which lies in the Liguria region. There are several other villages near Camporosso and they include: Porra (10.1 km), Bordighera (7.2 km) and Ventimiglia (5.1 km). When coming from the highway exit to Ventimiglia, follow the E74 and then SR20 up to Ventimiglia. From there, continue along the SS1 until you come to the SP64 branching off to the right. Follow it up to Camporosso.