Dolcedo lies in the middle of the Prino Valley and is the municipality with third highest amount of land given over to olive cultivation in the province of Imperia (30% of its territory). As an ancient feudal estate of the Clavesana family, the town began its expansion in the thirteenth century, when the Bishop of Albenga entrusted the church of San Tommaso to the friars of Lerins, who encouraged olive cultivation. This was the period in which the water-mills were built: the population then began to move out of the higher districts towards the riverside areas, including today's main district, which was at that time known as "Piazza" because it was a market town.
In 1228, the feudal estate passed into the hands of the Republic of Genoa. The municipality became independent in 1613. In the alleyways of the old town centre, you can see the old artisan shops, while the ancient weights and measures marks are still visible in what is known as the "suttu munte" loggia. The buildings along the Prino and the single-span bridge are remaining signs of the town's former prosperity. The excellent acoustics of the main square make it an ideal place for the concerts and shows that take place on the black-and-white pavement outside the parish church of San Tommaso. Although of mediaeval origin, the church has a colourful eighteenth-century façade: a Baroque canopy frames the fifteenth-century portal. Deep blue Baroque decorations can also be admired inside the church; it also contains some precious works from the Genoese school, including some paintings of the Virgin Mary over the apse, which are attributed to the Carrega brothers. The bell tower is one of the highest in the region. Other monuments to be seen are the Saracen tower, the oratory of San Lorenzo and the church of San Domenico.
In the district of Ripalta there is a characteristic bridge that was once the only means of access to the town. During his childhood, the poet Giovanni Boine stayed in Lecchiore, a district ensconced among the olive groves.Excursions beginning in Dolcedo take you to some places of great natural interest, including Monte Faldo (1149 m.) as well as historic interest, such as Monte Folia, where archaeological finds have been made. The sanctuary of Lampedusa has for centuries been a destination for pilgrims. Dolcedo has a special court where elastic ball is played. For those who love horse-riding there are many riding schools in the area.
* Unless otherwise noted. distances are in driving minutes.
* Pools are open from the beginning of June untill the end of September unless otherwise indicated.