A beautiful place in the hinterland of Albenga on the southern slopes of Monte Peso Grande
As the eleventh locality, "Unsu", of Clavesana, Onzo's history dates back to the 11th century.
Festa Patronale di San Martino on 11th November
Feast of the Resurrection of Jesus, every 5 years in the night to Holy Saturday
San Martino Parish Church
Ruins of the castle of the Margrave of Clavesana near the municipality of Capitolo
The history of this locality dates back to the 11th century. Its name is taken from the word "Onsu", which means eleven, because it was the eleventh municipality in the region surrounding Clavesana.
This area belonged to Bonifatius del Vasto in 1091 and the people of Clavesana inherited it until it was sold to Genoa in 1393.
The municipality of Onzo bought its freedom in 1581 for 50,000 gold crowns plus the annual payment of 200 gold crowns to the Genoan senate.
The "era of the Onzo Republic" lasted up to the time of Napoleonic rule.
Onzo lies 410 meters above sea-level in Arroscia valley in Albenga’s hinterland. It is about 20 kilometers up to there and to the sea. You take the Strada Statale 453 from Albenga and then branch off to the SP 20 after the village of Pogli. The community center is located in the Capitolo area. The area is supplied with water by a reservoir located at a height of approx. 600 meters above Menezo. The constituencies of Capitolo, Costo, Menezo, Solaio, Varavo Inferiore and Varavo Superiore belong to this municipality.